Ten Steps to "Say Yes to No"
Dr. David Walsh provides suggestions for parents wanting to implement Say Yes to No in their homes, as a starting point. We hope these action steps provide the spark for more ideas on how to "Say Yes to No." If you have suggestions you would like to share on implementing Say Yes to No, contact us!
1. Read the book (No: Why Kids -of All Ages- Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It, by Dr. David Walsh, published by Free Press) and learn how to say NO.
2. Support, don't rescue.
3. Encourage, don't coddle.
4. Get kids what they need but not everything they want.
5. Back up teachers and schools.
6. Become a MediaWise Parent (visit www.mediawise.org).
7. Have clear and high expectations.
8. Expect kids to do chores.
9. Set and encorce clear limits and consequences.
10. Expect kids to volunteer and help others.